Monday, June 3, 2013

Thai Airways A380

I have experienced the first Thai Airways (TG) A380 aircraft during the "trial-run" period. When TG first received the A380, it did a "trial-run" by using it on BKK-HKG-BKK and BKK-SIN-BKK for couple weeks before its maiden trip on BKK-FRA-BKK route. I have tried both the economy and business class on SIN-BKK-SIN route.

The aircraft is HS-TUA


 
 

Economy Class


HS-TUA has a configuration that the lower deck is all economy class seat.  The upper deck has first, business and a small section of economy class.   I guess this will be the configuration of all TG A380.  I chose the upper deck economy seat.  The lower deck economy seat has 3-4-3 configurations and the upper deck has 2-4-2 configuration.

 


Here is the back staircase which lead to the upper deck economy class through the galley area.




The upper deck economy has 2-4-2 configuration and only have 6 rows (3 and 3) which make it a very quite and personalize cabin. However, the overhead compartment is rather narrow, especially the one is the side. There is small bin near the window. So unless you travel with another person, you may end up with not much place to store your carry-on.


 
 
 
The IFE is quite new with a nice air show and the remote is just below the screen. This is similar to the one install in new A330 I believe (and similar to SQ A330 and B773-ER)


 

 

Food is economy

Here is the main course served.  Sometimes I found the TG food is rather unappetizing.

 
 
 

Business Class

 
I have another chance to fly on business class on HS-TUA during their trail-run period.  Again route is SIN-BKK-SIN.  So it is about 2.5 hours flying time.
 
I believe the business class has been designed so that each seat has its own privacy.  I found it a bit boxy, although it is alright.  Here are some of the pictures which may speak a thousand words :)
 
 







For your information I am 6" tall (180 cm) just in case you are trying to make sense of the pictures :)



 
 

Meals Service

It starts with a drink with a peanut and following with a main course.  The pictures were taken on BKK-SIN route which is on TG409.  TG offers 3 types of the main course, Western, Thai or Chinese.  Of course, I went with Thai menu :)
 
 
 




Conclusion

I found TG A380 in general is a good product.  In economy, although the upper deck economy class gives quieter cabin, however, lack of overhead compartment can be bothersome for some people.  Also as it is at the back of the aircraft, I feel quite some shake during the flight.  I think may be lower deck economy in the nose of the plane may be better seat.

Also, I like 2-4-2 configuration on UD compare to 3-4-3 on LD.

For business class, I found the seat is rather boxy and give some kind of cramp feeling.  Although is not as cramp as older fish-bone type in CX, but definitely I think CX new business class has more room -- at least the perceptions :)



 
 
 

 



No comments: